Last modified: 2009-08-15 by dov gutterman
Keywords: tachira | junin | rubio |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Junin is municipality in the State of Tachira, Venezuela. It
has area of 315 km2 and population of 68,869. Its seat is town of
The flag of Municipality of Junin is shown on municipal website. It was adopted on 28.11.1997. Designer of the flag is Prof. Diego Ramirez Sanchez.
Valentin Poposki, 20 April 2009
Translated from municipal
"The municipal flag of Junín is horizontally divided: the lower half is red while the upper half is vertically divided black-white, the black part being charged with the municipal coat of arms.
Black represents the mineral resources, especially oil (known as "black gold"), recalling that the first oil shaft in Venezuela, known as "Eureka", was set up in the place called Alquitrana, on the municipal territory of Junín. The coat of arms represents the strength, the constance, the courage and the power exhibited by the inhabitants of Junín.
White represents the struggle of the old "comuneros" for freedom and autonomy; it is also the colour of the flowers of coffee.
Red represents the idiosynscrasy of the inhabitants of Rubio, their honour and courage; it is also the colour of ripe coffee.
Pr. Diego Ramírez Sánchez, official chronicler of the municipality, was commissioned to design the flag. Presented on 24 August 1997, his proposal was approved by Decree No. 64 of the Municipal Council, adopted on 28 November 1997.
The municipal coat of arms, designed by Rafael María Rosales and Aurelio Ferrero Tamaño and sculpted by Pr. José Natalio Bruguera, can be seen in the seat of the municipality. Of the national colours, the coat of arms is divided into two upper and one lower quarters. The upper dexter quarters is yellow with the portrait of Gervasio Rubio, who promoted the agricultural development of the region and the building of the town that would be named for him. The upper sinister quarter is red with a hand placed on a crenelled tower, representing St. Barbara, the patron saint of Rubio. The lower quarter shows the Blue Bridge ("Puente Azul"), built in Roman style by engineer Cristancho over the river Capacha.
The shield is surmonted by a mural crown and flanked dexter by a fructed branch of coffee and sinister by a stem of sugar cane, the two plants representing the main products of the local agriculture. A red scroll placed under the shield bears the black writing [not shown on the image], dexter "9 DE DICIEMBRE DE 1794" [9 December 1794, date of foundation of Rubio], in the middle "ARMAS DE LA CIUDAD" [Arms of the Town], and sinister "9 DE JUNIO DE 1855" [9 June 1855, date of foundation of the civil parish of Rubio by the Government of Mérida.
Ivan Sache, 3 May 2009
image from municipal website