Last modified: 2009-07-26 by rick wyatt
Keywords: new york | amityville |
Links: FOTW homepage |
search |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
mirrors
See also:
Amityville is a village in Suffolk County, New York, in the United States.
The population was 9,441 at the 2000 census.
History
Huntington
settlers first visited the Amityville area in 1653 as a source of salt hay.
Chief Wyandanch granted the first deed to land in Amityville in 1658. The area
was originally called Huntington West Neck South (it is on the Great South Bay
and Nassau County, New York border in the southwest corner of what once called
Huntington South but is now the Town of Babylon. According to village lore, the
name was changed in 1846 when residents met to find a better name for its new
post office. The meeting turned into bedlam and one participant was to exclaim,
"What this meeting needs is some amity." Another version says the name was first
suggested by mill owner Samuel Ireland to name the town for his boat the Amity.
The place name is strictly speaking an incident name, marking an amicable
agreement on the choice of a place name. The village was formally incorporated
on March 3rd, 1894. In the early 1900s Amityville was a popular tourist
destination with large hotels on the bay and large homes.
New Village
Flag adopted by Mayor and Board of Trustees: Mayor Imbert and the Board of
Trustees adopted a resolution on September 10, 2007 to fly a Village of
Amityville flag throughout the Village. It is a green nautical flag with the
Village seal in the center of the flag and gold trimming around the flag.
Valentin Poposki, 11 December 2007
The flag can be seen at http://www.amityville.com/images/Amityville%20images/DSC_0348.JPG. The seal on the flag seems to be the one on the masthead of the official website ( http://www.amityville.com/siteImgs/header.gif ). It shows on the flag in yellow on white — surely not for contrast!
António Martins-Tuválkin, 15 December 2007