Last modified: 2010-02-12 by dov gutterman
Keywords: siauliai | bubiai | wood grouse |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Virginijus Misiunas, 29 November 2009
The flag and coat of arms of Bubiai were drawn according to
pictures, which was taken from booklet: "DISTRICT OF
SIAULIAI AND ITS CONTEMPORARY HERALDRY" [lal02]. Here is information from this
"Bubiai - In 1566 Bubiai was named as a settlement, although archeological findings prove that it dates back to the 5-6 th centuries. Dubysa (Dobitzen) castle, burned down in 1348 and 1358 by the Knights of the Sword, stood on Bubiai mound on the left bank of the river Dubysa. Spearheads and arrowheads, knives, keys, charred grains are among the findings of the 11 -14 th century.
The sound produced by wood-grouses may have association with the name of the settlement. Another version is that bogy men used to live in the woods nearby.
In 1783 there were 13 households of 50 people. In 1825 building works of the Dubysa-Venta cannal, which had to link the rivers with the Baltic Sea, were started, however, were not completed by 1831.
Count Zubovas had a manor house there from the 18th to the beginning of the 20th century. In 1899 a primary school was founded, which later developed into a basic school. Dmitrijus Zubovas was mainly engaged in cattle breeding, so in 1910 he founded a 3 year agricultural school of cattle breeding and dairy production which functioned until 1915. The Lithuanian language was an oficial language of instruction in both schools. The constructions of the farmstead have remained to the present days. During the decades of Independence the number of the population in Bubiai rose, a brick-yard, a saw-mill, a dairy, a school, a post office and other institutions started working.
May Day festivals organised in Bubiai at the end of the 19th century were part of the national revival movement, which led to the national autonomy and independence.
Bubiai is situated 14 km south west from Siauliai. The number of the population has increased from 259 in 1923 to 932 in 2002.
Since 1995 Bubiai has developed into the centre of the rural municipality, which includes Bazilionai, Kurtuvenai and 110 villages with 3.900 inhabitants.
Bubiai is famous for Girnikai and Bubiai mounds, legends about which are passed from generation to generation, and the beautiful surrounding landscape. The church built in 1792 in Kurtuvenai and some constructions of the manor are among the places of interest and attraction. In 1998 one construction of the manor was restored and presently houses the administration of the Kurtuvenai Regional Park. Since 2001 International Outdoor Theatre Festivals are being organised in Kurtuvenai.
Bubiai has never had its coat of arms. The Heraldry Commission with the approval of the local community designed the coat of arms for Bubiai: a black wood-grouse with a red head on a field of gold (design by Rolandas Rimkunas). The Bubiai coat of arms was confirmed by the President of the Republic of Lithuania on March 23, 2000."
Audrius Slapsinskas, 24 June 2003
Bubiai village is in Siauliai district, Siauliai county,
Lithuania. It has a population of 878 and is a center of Bubiai
Eldership, which has 3937 inhabitants.
Bubiai "Dubysa castle, the strongest one in iauliai region, stood in the 14th century on Bubiai mound. In the 19th century, Bubiai manor belonged to the family of count Zubovas. Preserved are the manor's sawmill, distillery, and the first silo. The landlords educational activity goes back to the elementary school founded in 1899 in Bubiai. In 1903, The Great iauliai Maying was organised in Bubiai, which turned into one of the first meetings of Lithuanian intellectuals involving the considerations about the fate of Lithuanian nation. The commemoration of struggles, which took place in Bubiai surroundings, is embodied in the Cemeteries of Soldiers from the 1st and the 2nd World Wars and the Monument to the Resistance.
Valentin Poposki, 17 June 2007
Bubiai - On a golden field a black wood-grouse with red brow.
Flag proportions 10:11, free edges bordered with narrow red
stripe, finial is a golden knob. The charge reflects both
wood-grouses living in nearby woods and the local folk tale
originating the name of town from sounds of wood-grouses.
Virginijus Misiunas, 29 November 2009
image by Audrius Slapsinskas, 24 June 2003
image by Audrius Slapsinskas, 24 June 2003